Periwinkles

Periwinkles (Catharanthus roseus) also commonly known as vinca, rose periwinkle, cape periwinkle are the most common plant that can be easily grown either indoor or outdoor. These are fast growing shrubs which can also form a very good ground cover. The pink or white periwinkles are most easily spotted plant in India. I find them growing everywhere in my locality... beside roads, wall of old buildings, rooftop to name a few.

 A mature periwinkle plant, with lots of flower,  attracts ants, bees and other pollinating agent, as a result of pollination they develop seed pods. These seed pods rapture, seeds are scattered which results into new saplings making this plant sometimes invasive in the garden.

There are various hybrid varieties of periwinkle which can be easily grown at home. I bought some vincas for there beautiful display of flower. They look attractive and add a lot of color in the garden. Last year due to heat I lost my two vinca plants. I had a red vinca plant which was in full bloom but suddenly i realised that the plant is dying. I looked at the plant carefully and saw the stems of the plant were drying out. I was very disappointed.

I got some hope when I saw some new seedlings coming out in the same container, but soon after two weeks I noticed that they were also dying. It is really painful for a plant lover to watch his plants dying. I could do nothing but watch them die and they vanished from my garden.

This season I again bought some vinca plants and they are doing good. I also collected some seeds and will try my luck next season. It is a real bliss for a plant lover to see the seedling turning into a plant.

Last year perhaps the high temperature and at the same time, exposure of the plant to full sunlight or overwatering of the plant might be the reason for them to die. This year I have shifted my plants to place where they will get partial sunlight and I do not water them, until i notice that the soil is dry. I would like to share certain experience on taking care of vinca.Though they are easy growing plant we need to take proper care.
  • Water: Water the plant thoroughly but make sure you only water the plant when the soil dries out. Donot overwater the plant.
  • Light: The plant should be potted in partial shade or at a place where it gets indirect sunlight. Though the plant does well in full sunlight but make sure the temperatures are not high as it will burn the leaves.The place where i live is very hot and the temperatures are around 45 degree centigrade during summer. So i prefer to keep it in partial shade during summer.
  • Soil: The soil should be well drained. It can be grown in any kind of soil. It does better in acidic soil so i use some cow manure along with the soil as a potting mix.
  • Nutrient: I use decomposed kitchen waste and cow manure. I occasionally add some fertilizers to enhance the quality of the soil, These chemical fertilizers can be easily bought from the stores. Its better and advisable to use green manure which can be prepared at home itself from kitchen waste.
  • Pruning: Occasional pinching helps the plant to be bushy.
  • Check the leaves for insects. Spider mites and whiteflies may bother the plant, though they can be controlled with soap water. Use a soap with less filler, It is advisable to use liquid dishwash which contain low filler materials.



hybrid vinca


 





Hope this post will be beneficial for you. Soon i will be back with some other post and useful information. Till then stay happy and stay blessed.




Comments

  1. Nice Blog with amazing writing skill!
    Periwinkle lovers can also check this Mindblowing post Periwinkle growing techniques that really helped me with my vinca.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your valuable comments!

Popular posts from this blog

The Winter Delights...

Facts about Gerbera...

Marigolds...